Left to right: Jeanne Sauter of Bethany Lutheran of Escanaba, Malanie Chartier of Ace Hardware, and Shirley Smith also of Bethany Lutheran picking up the church's CFLs on Earth Day 2010.
Each year the SWP and Earth Keeper churches take part in a UP wide event addressing some aspect of environmental protection and conservation. This year the SWP distributed over 30,000 compact fluorescent lightbulbs to churches across the UP. Church leaders then handed the bulbs to the people in their church. Each household received 6 CFLs to install in their homes. This is a part of a larger CFL Distribution program funded through the Michigan Public Service Commission to distribute over 100,000 CFLs to UP households. The goal? The more CFLs operating in UP homes, the less coal burned and the more money saved for UP residents.
Did you know only 10% of the energy used in incandescent bulbs is used for light? The other 90% is lost as heat. CFLs will last 10 times longer than incandescent and use 75% less energy.